by brian lobdell
Ah, September arrives once more. I know you’ve been waiting all year for September’s calendar and with good reasons!
September is “Save the Tiger Month”, “Classical Music Month,
“Read a New Book Month” and of course “Pink Flamingo Month”.
Oh and not to overlook “National Butterscotch Pudding Month” and “National Be Kind to Writers & Editors Month”
Can’t you just feel the anticipation, and the drama as each day in September provides such wonderful celebrations and holidays? And I have only touched the tip of the iceberg for commemorations this month.
Today is Uncle Sam’s birthday. Tomorrow, the 4th is Kodak’s birthday! (Hey – isn’t that a paid holiday for all us photographers?)
Sunday the fifth is “Cheese Pizza day” and also “Be late for Something Day” and “National Shrink Day”. (Sorry to be late, Doc, I just had to finish my cheese pizza….)
A few other notable wacky days you can celebrate this month:
- 6 Barbie Doll Day, along with Iguana Awareness Day
- 8 Anniversary of Star Trek TV premiere (and I saw it then!)
- 11 Make Your Bed Day (wouldn’t hurt you to do that once this year would it?)
- 12 National Chocolate Milkshake Day
- 13 Defy Superstition Day
- 16 Collect Rocks Day, & Wrinkled Raincoat Day (Guess you can carry those rocks home in your raincoat)
- 18 National Play-Doh Day
- 19 International Talk Like a Pirate Day (Arrgh, one of me favorites!)
- 22 Elephant Appreciation Day
- 23 Dog in Politics Day (and I thought that was every day!)
- 27 Crush a Can Day (and if you have to ask why, do it tomorrow, the 28th.
- 28 Ask a Stupid Question Day
- 29 Happy Goose Day (Wonder how they mean that…)
- 30 National Mud Pack Day
All fun aside, there are some other great humanistic days in this month of September you should really pay attention to:
Two of the most significant days of course, are Labor Day this coming Monday, and the often overlooked POW/MIA Recognition Day .
Also, I especially want to point out World Gratitude Day on September 21st. BetterPhotoJim, our President and mentor here at BetterPhoto.com has a wonderful blog on creating a Gratitude Log that you'll want to read - and even start your own Gratitide Log! Also, Positive Thinking Day coming September 13th reminds me to mention that now is a great time to check out Jim's Creative Confidence Workshops coming to several locations around the country this fall. This is the perfect month to take that step to building positive thinking and confidence!
- 6 Read a Book Day
- 8 International Literacy Day
- 10 Swap Ideas Day
- 12 Grandparents Day
- 13 Positive Thinking Day
- 16 Step Family Day
- 17 POW/MIA Recognition Day - 3rd Friday in September
- 19 National Women's Friendship Day - 3rd Sunday in Sept.
- 21 International Peace Day
- 21 World Gratitude Day
- 22 Business Women's Day
- 28 National Good Neighbor Day
If all this isn't enough for you, there are even more September National Days, Weeks, and Month observances you can browse through here:September Observances
And finally - whatever else you do this month, be sure tomorrow to observe the pinnacle celebration this month:
International Drive Your Studebaker Day !